DIY Ant Killers – Which is Best?
If you’re searching for the best way to battle the ants invading your home, it seems like there are a lot of options – you can call an exterminator, make a DIY ant killer or use TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait.
Which is best for you? Let’s explore all of the options to kill ants, to help you make the right choice for your situation.
OPTION 1 – Call an Exterminating Company
Exterminators are experts when it comes to getting rid of a wide variety of home-invading pests. While they take the guesswork out of killing ants, they can be quite costly, averaging homeowners $300 to $550 for a one-time visit. For the homeowner who doesn’t care to be involved in the decision-making regarding chemicals, treatment type or placement, an exterminator may be the solution for you.
OPTION 2 – Mix Your Own Ant Bait
Mixing your own ant bait is another option to tackle ants, especially if you’re an avid DIYer. Since the basic recipe for ant killing bait includes water, borax and a sweet flavoring, many DIYers are eager to try mixing ant bait on their own. But that begs the question, is it worth the effort? There are a few things you should keep in mind about mixing your own ant bait:
- It takes time - In addition to assembling the ingredients and supplies needed to make your mixture, you’ll need to test it until you have the right proportions. Of course, while you test your ant bait, more and more ants are sure to make an appearance!
- It can be messy - Once you’ve perfected your self-made ant bait solution, you’ll have some cleaning to do. You’ll want to be sure to wash your mixing bowls and utensils, as well as wipe down your countertops. After using all of your ant bait, you’ll also want to be sure to thoroughly wash the container you’ve been using to store the solution.
- It can be tough to get the formula just right - To make your own DIY ant killer from scratch, you need the right blend to effectively serve as bait. Too much borax, and ants aren't interested. Too little borax, and you're feeding them – not killing them.
- It can result in lots of leftover ingredients - If you make your own ant bait, you’ll probably make way more than you need to eliminate the ant colonies in your home or yard. The result is either a lot of waste, or having to store the extra ingredients until the next time you need to mix up a batch.
- It can be difficult to conceal from pets and kids - Now that you’ve mixed up your formula, what do you place it in to make it accessible to ants, but inaccessible to children and pets? Often, bottle caps and jar lids are a good container to keep them in, but not if you’re looking to keep curious hands and paws from accessing the ant bait.
- Ants are a problem, not a chance to experiment - Many DIYers see their projects as an adventure, but it’s very important to treat a household ant invasion seriously. For one thing, some ants bite. Ants also have the potential to transfer germs, bacteria and disease to you, your family and across the places you eat. You want them gone as soon as possible.
OPTION 3 – Use TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait
TERRO® Liquid Ant Bait stations are affordable, especially when compared to the cost of exterminators or purchasing ingredients to make your own bait. They also provide you with the decision-making power regarding where the baits are placed, how often to replace them and when it’s time to switch tactics against your adversary.
If you choose not to hire an exterminator, you shouldn’t feel like you’re fighting the battle alone – our fantastic consumer care team is available to help you with your efforts.
Our ready-to-use Liquid Ant Baits also take the guesswork (and time) out of creating your own formula – the work is already done and will attract and kill all common household ants. What’s more … TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits are manufactured to hold the ant bait in place and limit spills.
Finally, if you have any doubt that TERRO® products aren’t the best solution for your ant problems, just check out the reviews here at Terro.com, on any other retailer website and at independent consumer sites, such as Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, and many more!
YOUR ANT QUESTIONS ANSWERED
TERRO® Ant Bait works by luring ants with sweet-tasting bait. This borax-based liquid is spread through an ant colony by worker ants. As worker ants find the liquid ant bait, they drop a pheromone trail to alert other worker ants to the food source. The ants are killed slowly, giving them enough time to make multiple trips to the bait.
TERRO® has been in the ant-killing business for more than a century now, and we’re dedicated to solving your pest problems. If you have any questions about the bugs bothering you, how to use our products or your own ideas on battling ants, we urge you to share them with us in the comments below, on Facebook or when you contact our consumer care team online or by calling (800) 800-1819.
Looking for great deals on TERRO® products or more pest control tips? Subscribe to our eNewsletter.