How to Use Ant Dust
Ant Dust is a powdered insecticide formulated by TERRO® for dealing with problem ants and other pest insects or invertebrates. Each 16 oz bottle has a cap that allows homeowners to use it as a shaker or to draw out measured amounts of the ant killer through a larger opening.
Ant Dust can be used inside and outside in inaccessible areas where insects commonly hide.
WHAT INSECTS DOES TERRO® ANT DUST KILL?
A number of insects and invertebrates are affected by TERRO® Ant Dust, including:
- Boxelder bugs
- Carpenter ants
- Carpenter bees
- Fire ants
- Ground beetles
WHAT DOES ANT DUST DO?
TERRO® Ant Dust uses deltamethrin, which is a pyrethroid, as its active ingredient. It kills target insects when they come in contact with it -- effectively interfering with the operation of their nervous systems.
Ant Dust is waterproof, won’t wash away in the rain and continues to be effective against insects for up to 8 months.
HOW TO USE ANT DUST INSIDE
Use TERRO® Ant Dust inside to kill pests, but avoid applying this product to exposed surfaces or in a manner that would introduce it into the air.
Instead, get a small paint brush and apply the powder lightly, in a uniform thin layer, to out-of-the-way areas, including:
- In cracks and crevices
- Along baseboards
- In drop ceilings, false floors and wall voids
- In maintenance access areas
- Around electrical and telephone fittings and equipment
- Behind appliances
- Under and behind sinks, cabinets and refrigerators
- In spaces between cabinets
- Around doors and windows
You can also use a bulbous duster to apply it into other hard-to-reach places.
HOW TO USE ANT DUST OUTSIDE
As an ant control product and general insect control product, this ant killing powder is highly effective when used outside. Applying it around the perimeter of your house will create a barrier to keep out ants and other crawling insects.
To properly treat the outside of the house, apply the Ant Dust uniformly around the foundation perimeter of the structure. With a uniform application of this ant killer, the targeted insects will die after crossing it.
HOW TO DESTROY A FIRE ANT NEST WITH TERRO® ANT DUST
TERRO® Ant Dust is approved for use against fire ant infestations, and the best way to do that is by treating the entire nest at once. Here’s how:
- Apply when temperatures are between 65° F and 80°
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of TERRO® Ant Dust evenly on the top of the fire ant mound. Don’t use the measuring device for food after exposing it to Ant Dust.
- Do not water in the product or disturb the fire ant mound.
- Allow the Ant Dust to take effect for three or four days.
- If ant activity is still evident, apply another tablespoon of Ant Dust.
YOUR ANT DUST EXPERIENCES
For more helpful articles on home pest control, sign up to get our eNewsletter, which also includes helpful discounts on great TERRO® products.