According to dozens of mosquito control experts nationwide, mild winters and/or rainy spring seasons set the stage for an abundant and extended mosquito season. However, this large and unwelcome invasion of skeeters doesn't mean you need to hide indoors all summer. There are steps you can take to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and spoiling your outdoor fun.
PREVENTING BRREDING GROUNDS
If you can prevent mosquito breeding, you can ward off an infestation. The first step is getting rid of their breeding grounds. There are hundreds of different species of mosquitoes, but every species has one thing in common – they all breed in standing water. The old adage that "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" rings true when it comes to stopping mosquito infestations. Keeping your yard free of standing water is the single most important step you can take to ensure your backyard isn't an open invitation to breeding mosquitoes.
Here are some easy ways to prevent breeding on your property:
- Dispose of old tires, buckets, flower pots, and other containers in your yard that collect water.
- Fill in tree rot holes and hollow stumps that hold water.
- Drill holes into the bottom of tire swings.
- Change the water in birdbaths and wading pools at least once per week.
- Clean clogged roof gutters, particularly if the leaves from surrounding trees have a tendency to plug up the drains.
- Turn over plastic swimming pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets that can create a pool of stagnant water.
- Stock water gardens with minnows; they eat mosquitoes and their larvae.
- Be aware that mosquitoes breed in driveway puddles and the water that collects on hot tub and swimming pool covers.
- Fix leaking cisterns, septic tanks, or cesspools.
- If possible, fill in low areas on your property to eliminate standing water.
Take a stroll around your yard and search closely for standing water or anything that could hold water. Every opportunity you can find to prevent breeding mosquitoes will go a long way toward reducing the mosquito population – and increasing your outdoor enjoyment.
CONSTANT WATER ON YOUR PROPERTY?
No need to take concern if you have bird baths, a pond, or something else that you can’t drain. We have a specific solution for areas with standing water that bring you enjoyment to stop the mosquitoes in their tracks. Our TERRO® Mosquito Larvicide Pouches can be added to fish ponds, bird baths, gutters, rain barrels, and other areas with standing water. This works to kill the larvae before they even hatch preventing large populations of biting adult mosquitoes. This gives you the extra step to go above and beyond in your mosquito control while keeping the Zen in your yard.
So, take a stroll around your yard and search closely for standing water or anything that could hold water. Every opportunity you can find to prevent breeding mosquitoes will go a long way toward reducing the mosquito population – and increasing your outdoor enjoyment.
These pests can really cause irritation like many others. We try to provide solutions to all the pests you can think about. Whether its this summer or throughout the year, we provide tips and tricks on how to take care of all your pests. Learn more by visiting our insect learning center, or check us out on Facebook!